Monday, July 5, 2010

Safely Home in SD

We made the desert crossing safely on the fourth of July, and my mom, my sister Susan and I, are all back in SD. Breezy joined us last night, coming from the excellent care of Susan, Steve and Rachel. She spent some time looking for Gene, as she could smell the farm on us, and on our stuff, and that smell always used to mean Gene was back. My sister Esther returns this week, and we'll get to work planning Gene's SD Memorial on July 14, one day after what would have been his 61st birthday.
The time at the farm was deep and sad and sweet with friends and family. We had a perfect celebration of Gene's life, New Mexico style. I'll post the photos and a bit about them as soon as I collect them from Patty and Jason. We filled the little church in San Juan and ate lots of good New Mexico style enchiladas, and more, back at the farm. Oh yea, and a good tequila toast too.
Thanks to all of you who came, who contributed, who shared stories and tears, and offered your condolences. We planned so carefully, it was such a great group effort. One of the many things that especially touched me was that one of Gene's high school friends, Sam Baca, now a funeral director himself, came just as a friend, and helped facilitate the memorial in the church, including walking me out of the church. Just one of many examples of folks whose lives Gene has touched, and for whose touch I am so grateful.
For those of you still needing to mourn and celebrate Gene, the details for the San Diego State Memorial are here on the blog. I'll continue to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment