Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Remembrance of Gene: Jose Luis Alvarado

Dr. Jose Luis Alvarado shared his reflection at Gene's SDSU Memorial from the perspective of friend and colleague in the Department of Special Education. Gene and Jose Luis grew together professionally and personally from both the common bonds they shared and the opportunities they had to spend time together learning from each other, getting to know each other and supporting each other. I know that Gene's voice is with Jose Luis, as it is with me, and that he will be continuing to guide and support him from the other side. Keep your boys facile with that frisbee, Jose Luis!

Gene Valles

Colleague and Friend

By

Jose Luis Alvarado

First, I’d like to say that Gene would not approve of what I am wearing today. For Gene, being dressed for work was a button down, short-sleeved shirt, a tie, his Wrangler blue jeans, and his boots. For special occasions, he’d wear black Wrangler jeans.

In honor of Gene’s request, I will do my best to keep it simple.

For us as Gene’s Colleagues, he was first and foremost, a teacher, a master teacher of teachers…, he was also a Frisbee playing buddy, a mentor, the voice of reason, collaborator, counselor but most importantly, he was a great friend. Though I am here to share as a colleague, I first met Gene when I was a student in the special education credential program. From the first day, he told us, don’t call me “Dr. Valles,” just call me “Gene.” Gene would drive out to the Valley to teach a class for the first cohort of SPED Teachers being trained out there. We connected right away and continued our friendship as we both were involved with COMRISE (Center of Minority Research in Special Education), he as a post doctoral research fellow and I as a doctoral student. We developed many close common friendships: Dr. Todd Fletcher, Dr. Alfredo Artiles, Dr. Phil Chin…all who were deeply saddened of Gene’s passing and each send their condolences to the family.

I recall the time when I applied for a faculty position here at SDSU, as Gene was driving me to the interview, he asked, “Are you sure this is what you want?” as if to say, “do you really know what you are getting into buddy???” Many times since, he would remind me that he tried to warn me but I did not listen. As a colleague, Gene was always the voice of reason…he wouldn’t speak much sometimes, but when he spoke, it was with a purpose. Gene had a special way of refocusing our department discussions. If we were having discussions about policy or curriculum, he would always keep us grounded by asking, “How is this good for kids? How is this good for teachers?”

As a colleague, Gene was a generous individual who did not hesitate to share of his curricular materials as many of us were doing new preps. As stressful as the promotion and tenure process is, Gene would go out of his way to helping many of us improve our RTP materials. We want to thank him for the countless hours he spent editing our candidate statements. Gracias Gene, we owe much to you.

Gene always kept his door open and students and colleagues alike dropped by frequently. Of course, one consequence of his open door policy was the backing up of papers to grade. I would tell him, “Gene, these are final papers, students are not going to read your comments.” That did not deter him, he would respond, “I know, but I need to give them feedback.” He always strived to make all of his students the best teachers they could be.

For me, it didn’t matter when I would stop by, he was always glad to see me. “Q-Vole Jose Luis, pasale. Have a seat” , was Gene’s typical greeting. For many of us in the Special Education Department, Gene was like an older brother. He always had great advice but he was an even better listener. Like a cool older brother, he was one heck of a fun guy to have a beer with. In fact, several SPED Dept. faculty can say that they had their first beer in San Diego compliments of Gene.

I cannot believe that my good friend and colleague Gene Valles is physically gone. I know that his legacy and impact in the education community will carry on. I know that a part of Gene will continue to live on in me, in all of us really. Still, as I walk the corridor in the basement floor of the North Education building, I still instinctually look over hoping to see Gene’s door open…and if the door was open, Gene was either letting a student make up an exam or just chatting it up. If his door was open and he wasn’t in his office, he was probably visiting Paul probably conspiring on their next escapade. I am, we all are, going to miss our good friend and colleague, Gene Valles.

No comments:

Post a Comment