Monday, March 15, 2010

Update 3-15-10

Sunday: Some neutrophils! Still not as many as needed, but some. For the last five days his counts have been 0.1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.1, 0.1. They warned us that they could go down even after they come up and that is what is happening, so we are trying not to be discouraged after being so very encouraged. Other good news is that his platelet count is up and continuing to go up, platelets help blood clot, so that is very positive.

It was a busy week. We got the first official non-zero number on Wednesday, after about 30 days of 0. We were all so excited, though Gene tried to keep his excitement in check, saying that it could go down. On the 0.2 day, doc told him that at 0.5 they could talk about going home. So even though the low range of normal is around 4.0, we don’t have that far to go. Wednesday night two of Gene’s long, long-time buddies (3rd grade?) arrived for a visit, so that added to the excitement. Jerry and Joe stayed with us and spend quite a bit of time with Gene, including walking the track. They left to go back to NM on Saturday. On Friday I began to get sick….not sure what, old-fashioned tonsillitis (still have ‘em) or a sinus infection. Despite Patty and Jim’s excellent care I still managed to let myself get run down. So Patty and Jim went last night to have dinner with Gene, and say good-bye, and tonight Gene is stuck with hospital food for dinner. I haven’t been since Thursday and can’t go until I’m feeling better. Not good timing as we hope he is about to come home, but hopefully I’ll be feeling better each day. I had more energy and less of the symptoms today so I hope I am on the mend. Will stay home from work tomorrow to be sure, and call my doc if necessary.

But the toughest part of all was Patty and Jim leaving today. It was a sweet sorrow, they’ve shown me such an incredible level of love and caring. They’ve done a million things for me, for Gene, but the top of the list just has to be the sharing of the emotional challenges, sharing the fear, the grief, the worry, the small steps toward recovery, and with Patty around, always included is sharing the laughter. I know they will still be sharing the roller-coaster ride from a distance, and we are just so grateful that they could be here for as long as they were.

I feel like there is so much unacknowledged gratitude that we’ve accumulated. All of your messages of caring and concern, the incredible “Dinner Delivery” gifts, Kathleen’s cookies!, music and food, work on the Donor Drive, and all manner of tangible and intangible support. Thank you for hanging with us.

Some of the best news, besides the neutrophils, is the status of the Donor Drive that is being organized by Susan and Nadine at SDSU. As soon as I have the electronic link I’ll send it. That should be any day now, as the flyer with Gene’s photo is printed. It is scheduled for Tuesday, March 23, at SDSU, and there will also be an online drive that can include anyone anywhere in the country. So as soon as I have that info, I’ll send it out, so you can pass it on to anyone, everyone you know. The donor bank is 73% Caucasian and only 9% Latino, so that is the group we hope will step up and volunteer to become donors. Ethnicity does matter in this case.



Monday: Gene’s count is still 0.1, and he is discouraged. The doc on duty now is the one I like the best, the one in charge of the program. They are all good, and all knowledgeable, but Dr. Mason has the most comforting manner. He did tell Gene today that a bone marrow biopsy was in his near future, not today, but this week, so they could see what “the factory” is doing. It is day 61. Can you even imagine? We were so encouraged last week when the numbers went up….and then stopped. I keep thinking about the what and why’s….maybe he had too much excitement last week, maybe he shouldn’t be taking those long walks, pushing himself…maybe he needs to start eating more meat….maybe, what if….

And I’m sicker today than I was all weekend. I have a doc’s app’t. this afternoon. Maybe it is strep and they can give me antibiotics….first time I ever wanted that! Susan is checking in on me, Patty left the freezer and fridge well stocked, so I’m okay….just can’t go see Gene, have to offer empathy over the phone. He says it is good to take a visitor break and maybe nap…maybe that will help.

It is incredibly beautiful spring weather here in SD….far from the storms that were happening as we started this journey. Now it is flowers and green and sunshine and warm. Just not weather for being sick….so, here’s hoping that healthy cells will bloom and Gene will soon be sitting right where I am now, looking at flowers and birds, at home.

gail

No comments:

Post a Comment