Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Life Well Lived: July 13, 1949- June 23, 2010

To all of you who have been a part of the web of energy, love, prayer and healing,

Gene passed away at 4:00 AM this morning, June 23. We were blessed with nurse angels who helped us with the transition and both my sister Esther and Gene's sister Emilia were there with us. I'm sorry that some of you are reading this in an email or blog, but bad news travels fast as they say, so perhaps you've already heard. At this point, only five hours later, I know only that I am exhausted and that there are already paperwork processes to be completed. Gene's wishes were to be cremated and to keep it simple. I would like to have a service in New Mexico, where his heart and family reside, hopefully a mass at the little church right in front of the farm, and a celebration at the farm. We would also plan a memorial service in San Diego for the friends and colleagues, shortly after that. Right now we are trying to make it happen for this coming Sunday, but not at all sure that will work. Thinking weekend for most folks is best but all those things are up in the air. Will keep you posted as details develop.

I am so sorry for all of our losses. Gene and I talked about one of the many lessons of this experience is how much love we live with, take for granted, don't always express, and even, in Gene's case, was sometimes hard to believe was even possible. Your love has sustained us, and Gene is now pure love, though the human form is preferred by us while in our human state.

Gene fought so hard and at one point expressed sorrow for the people he was disappointing because he wasn't going to make it. I did my best to assure him that we all saw him as a hero, a warrior, who endured more than can even be imagined. The last two months were torture and the last two weeks he struggled to die and struggled to stay alive and finally gathered the strength to die. Only his suffering being relieved makes his passing the least bit tolerable.

I look forward to hugs and talks, and stories of Gene, with as many of you as possible, in the very near future. Knowing that we are sharing this sadness as well as the joy of having known and loved Gene, provides comfort for us all. Thank you for sharing this difficult journey. With love and gratitude,
Gail

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Valles- I am so sorry for your loss. I am one of Professor Valles' students from SDSU and he was by far the kindest man I have ever met. He is an inspiration to all of us special ed teachers. <3

    -Melanie Fink

    ReplyDelete